Sunday 17 December 2017

The Dreaded Diaper Rash!


The dreaded diaper rash... You will face it, regardless of the amount of care you take diapering your baby.

Diapers do not cause diaper rash. It is wet nappies and soiled diapers that do. So stop blaming diapers for diaper rashes. Now a days diapers are softer and even help babies sleep better. My little one wakes up so frequently while wearing cloth nappies, but sleeps like a log while wearing diapers. And I sleep much better knowing my baby is sleeping comfortably and I also get to sleep longer- waking up only to feed her.

Every time your baby poops frequently, or more importantly, stays in a wet/soiled diaper, your little one is going to develop diaper rashes.
It goes from a redness, you might not notice, to angry red spots along with an angrier red background in the bum area.
This is why it is extremely important to check for rash at every nappy or diaper change.
And this is also why you need air time to your baby's bum.

As expected, my baby also developed diaper rash, and would cry so miserably every time we tried to clean her bum (it's very very heart-breaking to have your little kid crying their lungs out the first time).
And though that first time was over, I was scared of rashes developing again. So after a lot of research and some great advice from 'the baby book' gifted to me by a senior, I found ways to reduce the occurrence and severity of rashes in my baby.
Mind you, I cannot prevent diaper rashes from happening, but I did successfully reduce the severity and frequency of rashes. Now even if my baby has a diaper rash I don't have to stop travelling/ stop using diapers completely, and my baby does not become uncomfortable through the duration of diaper rash.
You just have to manage better. And prevention is better than cure. And yet, even after all your preventive strategies and planning, the baby will end up having a rash.
It's normal. It's a part of being a baby.

Pathology of a diaper rash:
  • Baby poops
  • Baby pees
  • Bacteria from poo breaks down urine to give ammonia
  • Ammonia attacks baby's sensitive bum skin to cause redness
  • That is why anything that keeps the skin protected is good for prevention of a rash- like a film of vaseline or ointment
  • And obviously, if the causative agents- pee and poo are not in contact with the skin, the issue will not arise!
Preventing a diaper rash:
  • Change your baby's diaper every 2-4   hours, regardless of your assumption about the amount of poo or pee in it, especially in very young babies
  • Clean the baby
  • Remember to air the diaper region/ let it dry every time you change the diaper
  • As much as possible, let your baby wear cloth nappies between diaper changes
    • I do this twice a day with my kid
  • Apply Desitin/ Sebaderm/ Vaseline petroleum jelly to your baby's bum after every diaper change
  • I use vaseline when there's no rash and desitin when there is even the slightest rash

Managing a diaper rash:
Yeah, so this is the tough part
  • When your baby does develop a diaper rash- STAY CALM
  • It is going to be alright. Yes, your baby will cry and squeal
  • Do not blame yourself, and do not feel hurt when others blame you for your baby developing a diaper rash (it's not your fault!)
  • AVOID DIAPERS/ WET CLOTH NAPPIES as much as possible
    • I use diapers when my baby has rashes only while she is sleeping and when we have to travel- and only and only for that duration
  • Use cloth nappies the whole day - you will see improvement by the end of the day
  • Apply ointments specific for diaper rash on and off- one nappy no ointment, next nappy no creams at all
  • And definitely change wet nappies as soon as possible, remove the wet cloth or mat underneath the baby too
  • Any wetness is going to cause rashes. Wetness = rashes!!

Last of all- stay calm. A diaper rash should not take away your ability to play with your baby, carry on routine activity or cause you to worry endlessly. Its a rash- and like most rashes- it is manageable.
Happy Diapering!


2 comments:

  1. Helpful post..you should also put this up on Babychakra. This will help the other mommies too :)

    ReplyDelete

Creating a play zone for your baby

This is how I created a play area for my little one. My parents had gifted loads of furniture for my little one even before she was born (m...